Thursday 2 May 2013

7 Dear John and Edward- a Fan Letter.





Occasionally we have to do assignments with a brief, an outline of rules in which we have to make a work of art by. For this particular work we had to make a site specific sculpture for inside an Australia Post  Bx1 box and then mail it to someone in the class. First thing that comes to mind- Fan Letter.
So how I was going to make a sculptural fan letter and mail it off? I thought of all sorts of ideas, a slide projector with pictures and text, a scale model of the alley way opposite the Olympia stage door that I spent about 3 weeks in with fellow fans, some sort of recording device that speaks and tells stories about fan experiences with Jedward, etc etc, but I only had less than a week to complete it so it needed to be far more technically simple.  

But what is a fan letter exactly? It’s a letter written by a fan to an idol. Duh. But what’s its significance, what does it characterize, what’s its objective and purpose? 
I’ve never written a fan letter. I’ve written messages inside jackets I given to Jedward. They weren’t particularly long or insightful but they were heartfelt. ‘John and Edward, Thank you for everything, (heart) Dominique, Australian Girl.’ Was one ‘John and Edward,  Thank you so much for all the awesome memories of 2012, Happy New Year from Dominique and all the Lane Way fans!’ and I got every fan waiting outside the stage door in the lane way to sign around it was another. 
I guess a fan writes a fan letter to express devotion, appreciation and to distinguish themselves as an individual and as a fan to the idol. I signed ‘Australian Girl’ because that’s what they used to call me, it was my nick name, I suppose because they didn’t remember my real name, but it distinguished me as an individual.  

And I talked to a few fans that had written fan letters and we discussed what it was exactly that a fan letter is. A useful insight was something like ‘a fan letter gives you the one on one time with them that you wouldn’t necessarily have with them physically and says things you wouldn’t necessarily say to them face to face.’ And ‘you can take them to somewhere as personal as you’re willing to go’

I think of the internet like a ocean, but a more mythological fantasy ocean like ancient maps with sea dragons and mermaids and stuff. And I like to think of myself as a pirate, not because I illegally download music and movies, but because searching the internet is like going on a sort of swash-buckling adventure for hidden treasure, I never get off the internet without finding some gem of inspiration or doubloon of new knowledge or a battle scar of seeing something I really rather wish I hadn’t.
Anyway, there’s a bit of romantic whimsy for ya.  The point is, on one of my nightly quests I found the incredible work of Lori Nix and had my mind blown clean away. Her photographs of miniatures provoke that dream nostalgia that I so love as well as my obsession with doll houses and stop motion animation.

So I decided to make a miniature scene inside the box that has to be viewed through a porthole so it really is a one on one, private, personal experience. And then a scene that shows a fan’s personal, private devotion would be how they decorate their bedroom.  I collected images of Jedward, posters and photos of real fan’s bedrooms and my own bedroom, shrunk them down, cut them out and arranged them in a way I would arrange and decorate if this was a real bedroom. I made the bed messy, scattered clothes on the floor and used an old wash cloth as a carpet. The room is untidy, scattered, cramped and unglamorous. But its devotion shown in an honest, heartfelt and personal  as someone would be willing to go in a fan letter.  I’m not sending this to Jedward though because on top of all of that, I also find it a bit creepy, has anyone seen that episode of CSI?..

No comments:

Post a Comment